Oakridge News provided by the Oakridge Monitor
The Oakridge Monitor is a blog updated regularly to report on news and events within the community of Oakridge. The Monitor can be found at www.oakridgemonitor.com or you can access it through the RSS feed below.
- Oakridge Christmas tree lot opens on Tuesday, Dec. 1st November 19, 2020The Oakridge Christmas tree lot opens on Dec. 1st at its usual location in the parking lot between Boston Pizza and the Calgary Co-op. The lot supports area Scout and Girl Guide troops.
- Oakridge Oldtimers hope to open outdoor rink in mid-December November 19, 2020The Oakridge Oldtimers hockey club, whose members volunteer their time every winter to flood the outdoor rink, hope to have it flooded and ready for use by mid-December. But a spokesperson for the team cautions that an opening date is entirely dependent on weather.“Most years, if we have the rink open by Christmas, we consider […]
- Help stop speeding in Oakridge November 19, 2020While the southwest ring road has brought improved access to residents of Oakridge, it has also brought excessive speeding through our community.Many residents have noticed increased traffic and speeding along both 90th Avenue and Palliser Drive S.W.The Oakridge Community Association is asking residents to call the City of Calgary through its 311 number to lodge […]
- Learn to Skate Programs set for new year November 19, 2020The Oakridge Community Association (OCA) will be launching a trio of Learn-to-Skate programs in January at the Oakridge Arena.All three programs run for eight weeks and cost $40 per child for OCA members and $50 per child for non-members. Helmets are mandatory.The first two programs are for three- to six-year-olds. One runs on Tuesdays from […]
- Farkas to run for mayor in 2021 October 21, 2020The councillor that represents Oakridge on city council has announced his intention to run for mayor in October 2021.Jeromy Farkas made the announcement via his social media channels last month. Farkas has represented Ward 11 for three years.The announcement means that Oakridge residents will have a new councillor representing them in Ward 11 after next […]
- Quinterra Legacy Garden officially unveiled October 21, 2020The long-awaited Quinterra Legacy Garden officially opened to the public on Oct. 16th in the southeast corner of South Glenmore Park.The garden was created by the families of the five teens who lost their lives on April 15, 2014 in Brentwood. “Since this time, our five families have come together along with an amazing group […]
- Great pumpkin giveaway takes place on Oct. 16th October 6, 2020Local realtor Steve Hunter is hoping to make this year’s Halloween a little more memorable for the Oakridge community by giving away 150 free pumpkins on the afternoon of Friday, Oct. 16th.Hunter, co-owner of The Home Hunters Real Estate Group, will be providing one pumpkin per family to the first 150 Oakridge residents who attend […]
- Light Up Oakridge for our 50th Anniversary October 2, 2020Thursday, Nov. 12th marks the 50th anniversary of the Oakridge Community Association (OCA) and in celebration it is asking all Oakridge residents to "light up" the community by lighting up their homes.On the weekend of Nov. 12th to 15th, the OCA asks all residents to turn on their outdoor house lights, get those Christmas lights […]
- Opening of Southwest Ring Road confirmed for Oct. 1st September 23, 2020A major portion of the Southwest Ring Road will open on the morning of Thursday, Oct. 1st.The news was confirmed on Sept. 22nd when the contractors on the project – KGL Constructors – responded to questions during an online public information session.The portion that will open will run from interchange at Glenmore Trail and Highway 8, […]
- Learn to Skate Program registration opens Oct. 1st September 3, 2020The Oakridge Community Association (OCA) is hosting a Learn to Skate Program for three- to six-year-olds at the Oakridge Arena, with two weekly classes set to kick off in mid-October.Registration opens on Oct. 1st at 7 a.m. through the registration portal at https://www.oakridgecommunity.ca.Classes run every Tuesday, from 9:30 to 10 a.m., starting Oct. 20th through […]