Oakridge News provided by the Oakridge Monitor
The Oakridge Monitor is a blog updated regularly to report on news and events within the community of Oakridge. The Monitor can be found at www.oakridgemonitor.com or you can access it through the RSS feed below.
- Oakridge ODR now open December 16, 2020The outdoor rink east of the Oakridge Arena is flooded and open for skating.Due to Covid-19 restrictions, no hockey is allowed on the rink and, as a result, the hockey nets have been removed.As well, the Oakridge Old Timers, who voluntarily flood the rink every year, will also flood a pleasure skating rink just west […]
- Year-over-year crime down nearly 30% in Oakridge due to Covid-19 December 11, 2020Crime in Oakridge is down nearly 30% this year, which the Calgary Police Service attributes to the Covid-19 crisis and the series of lockdowns that have resulted from it.Through to the end of November, Oakridge has experienced 64 crimes in 2020, as compared to 90 the year before. Total crimes is calculated as the sum […]
- Christmas Light Walk revealed by OCA December 11, 2020In the second instalment of its Oakridge Walks series, in celebration of the Oakridge Community Association’s 50th Anniversary, the OCA reveals the best places in our community to see Christmas light displays.Residents are directed to https://www.oakridgecommunity.ca/activities-new/walks/ to find the latest walk.
- New restrictions limit activity at Oakridge Arena and Community Centre November 30, 2020With the latest COVID-19 restrictions announced by the Government of Alberta, the Oakridge Communication Association (OCA) has been mandated to limit most activities at the Oakridge Arena and Community Centre until Jan. 11th. These restrictions include no indoor public group activities, and a limit of 10 people for outdoor activities. The Oakridge Oldtimers have started to build […]
- Oakridge Christmas tree lot opens on Tuesday, Dec. 1st November 19, 2020The Oakridge Christmas tree lot opens on Dec. 1st at its usual location in the parking lot between Boston Pizza and the Calgary Co-op. The lot supports area Scout and Girl Guide troops.
- Oakridge Oldtimers hope to open outdoor rink in mid-December November 19, 2020The Oakridge Oldtimers hockey club, whose members volunteer their time every winter to flood the outdoor rink, hope to have it flooded and ready for use by mid-December. But a spokesperson for the team cautions that an opening date is entirely dependent on weather.“Most years, if we have the rink open by Christmas, we consider […]
- Help stop speeding in Oakridge November 19, 2020While the southwest ring road has brought improved access to residents of Oakridge, it has also brought excessive speeding through our community.Many residents have noticed increased traffic and speeding along both 90th Avenue and Palliser Drive S.W.The Oakridge Community Association is asking residents to call the City of Calgary through its 311 number to lodge […]
- Learn to Skate Programs set for new year November 19, 2020The Oakridge Community Association (OCA) will be launching a trio of Learn-to-Skate programs in January at the Oakridge Arena.All three programs run for eight weeks and cost $40 per child for OCA members and $50 per child for non-members. Helmets are mandatory.The first two programs are for three- to six-year-olds. One runs on Tuesdays from […]
- Farkas to run for mayor in 2021 October 21, 2020The councillor that represents Oakridge on city council has announced his intention to run for mayor in October 2021.Jeromy Farkas made the announcement via his social media channels last month. Farkas has represented Ward 11 for three years.The announcement means that Oakridge residents will have a new councillor representing them in Ward 11 after next […]
- Quinterra Legacy Garden officially unveiled October 21, 2020The long-awaited Quinterra Legacy Garden officially opened to the public on Oct. 16th in the southeast corner of South Glenmore Park.The garden was created by the families of the five teens who lost their lives on April 15, 2014 in Brentwood. “Since this time, our five families have come together along with an amazing group […]