Responsible Dog Ownership in Parks and Pathways
Parks is updating and removing sign clutter, but The City’s bylaws aren’t changing. City parks are for everyone to enjoy; it’s up to pet owners to get familiar with their responsibilities of dog ownership.
Animal & Bylaw Services would like to remind dog owners of the following:
- When off of their owner’s property, dogs must be on a leash unless in a designated off-leash area.
- When in designated off-leash areas, dog owners must ensure their dog is under control, is within their sight and responds to commands.
- Parking lots adjacent to off-leash areas are on leash.
- Owners are responsible for picking up all waste produced by their dog.
- Dogs are not allowed in school grounds, playgrounds, sport fields, golf courses, cemeteries, wading and swimming areas, and other areas prohibited by signs.
- Dogs must be walked on the right hand side of the pathway on a leash that is no more than two metres in length and must not interfere with other pathway users.
- Owners cannot cycle, in-line skate or skateboard on a pathway with a leashed dog.
- Dogs must not enter or swim in any body of water within a park except a river that runs through, or is adjacent to, a City park.
Parks strives to provide and maintain high-quality parks and pathways, which includes streamlining signage to enhance the park environment. Should you identify a trouble spot in your community, please notify 311.
For more information, visit the City of Calgary’s website.